At Albuquerque Vision Care and Advanced Eyewear in Albuquerque, NM, we can diagnose and treat dry eye. Our optometrists will perform eye exams to look for any issues with your eye health or vision, and provide the proper treatment. We can help you with eyeglasses, contact lenses, eye and vision exams, pediatric eye care, and treat conditions like red eye, eye strain, dry eyes, and many more.
Symptoms of Dry Eye
This is a condition in which someone lacks adequate quality tears to nourish and lubricate the eye. Tears are important, because they reduce the risk of infections in the eye, provide lubrication, keep the surface of the eye clear and smooth, and wash away any foreign matters in the eye.
When you have dry eyes, you experience the following symptoms:
- Gritty, irritated, burning eyes
- Blurry vision
- Sensitivity to light
- Excess watering of the eyes
- A feeling of something in the eye
- Stringy mucus around the eye
- Redness in the eye
Causes of Dry Eye
A few common causes of dry eyes include:
- Age: People of age 65 and above generally experience some symptoms of dry eyes.
- Hormonal changes: Women more likely to experience dry eyes due to use of oral contraceptives, pregnancy, and menopause.
- Medications: This includes antidepressants, decongestants, and blood pressure medications.
- Environmental conditions: Strong wind, smoke, extreme cold, and dry conditions can cause dry eye.
- Medical conditions: This includes rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid problems, diabetes, and blepharitis, which is an inflammation of the eyelids.
Other factors, like looking at computer screens for extended periods of time, refractive eye surgeries like LASIK, and long-term use of contact lenses can cause dry eye.
Treatment of Dry Eye
After our optometrist examines your eyes and diagnoses you, we can provide treatment to restore or increase the number of healthy tears in the eye. A few common approaches include:
- Using over-the-counter artificial tears as often as needed. This solution works best for mild cases of dry eye.
- Blocking the tear ducts through which tears naturally drain using tiny silicone removable ducts.
- Increasing the production of tears by the eyes with eye drops or nutritional supplements like Omega-3 fatty acid.
- Treating any inflammation on the eyelid or surface of the eye using prescription eye drops or ointments, warm compresses, and massages on the eyelid, as well as eyelid cleaners that help decrease inflammation on the eyelid's surface.
Schedule an Appointment Today
If you have been experiencing the discomfort of dry eyes, we can help. It is important to get treatment so your condition does not worsen or lead to other health complications. At Albuquerque Vision Care and Advanced Eyewear in Albuquerque, NM, our optometrist will diagnose and treat dry eye. Our goal is to keep your eyes healthy so you can maintain your vision. We offer a wide variety of optometry services and eyewear options. To learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment, call us today.